One of the bigger signs that the economy is weakening came from Wal-Mart (WMT), which came out with their earnings on Tuesday and way below estimates. Not only were their profits down but their revenues were down. A really bad quarterly report. The stock was down 4 or 5 percent and it is now down 16 percent from its record high printed in January when everybody was so optimistic about this recovery and everybody thought that consumers were going to take their windfall from cheap gasoline prices and spend it on Wal-Mart (WMT).
Well, it did not happen. Wal-Mart (WMT) had a very, very bad quarter and it is probably only going to get worse for Wal-Mart (WMT) particularly now that they are raising their wages and so you are going to have rising costs as well as slowing revenues.
Peter Schiff is an American businessman, investment broker and financial commentator. Schiff is the CEO and chief global strategist of Euro Pacific Capital Inc.
- ► 2017 (129)
- ► 2016 (252)
- Foreign Stock Markets: My Favorites
- How To Use Your Overpriced Dollars
- Investing: International Diversification
- The Economy is Slowing Down And Inflation Is Picki...
- U.S. Economy: More Bad News, Philly Fed Just Off A...
- This Is Stagflation
- Federal Reserve: Raising Interest Rates Is The Las...
- Yellen: What She Really Said About Interest Rates
- Federal Reserve: Higher Prices, Higher Minimum Wag...
- Wal-Mart (WMT): A Bad Quarter And It Probably Get ...
- The U.S. Economy Is Addicted To Zero Percent Inter...
- If The Fed Raises Rates, We Will Have A Worse Fina...
- Yellen Does Not Want The Stock Market To Go Down
- Industrial Production: Worst Losing Streak Since 2...
- Is The Stock Market Embracing Bad Economic News?
- U.S. Economy: An Official Recession For The First ...
- More Economic Bad News
- Retail Sales: Another Big Economic Disappointment
- What The Federal Reserve Is Afraid Of
- The Stock Market Is Sensing That The Fed Is "On Pa...
- The Jobs Report Is Awful Beneath The Surface
- Gold: Some Overhead Resistance Above 1,200 Dollars...
- Video: Why Gold Will Go Ballistic
- Stock Market: A Schizophrenic Type Market
- U.S. Economy: An Alarming Ratio
- ▼ May (25)
- ► 2014 (429)